Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Wall Paint - Staggered Squares

Have some fun with rooms that you want to decorate but don't have a lot of money.

Paint is an easy way to spruce up a room without having to figure out decor etc. I am not the best with decorations as I find clutter to be annoying so I tend to stick with simple designs. But I was tired of just doing a one color accent wall. I decided to try something a little different. Because I used multiple colors, I did not need a full gallon of each paint. I went with the smaller cans to save money.

Start with a stencil. I used a piece of cardboard. Mark your squares back to back. Then start with your first staggered color (for the design you see below I used 4 colors) and use painters tape to mark those boxes. Paint color 1. Once you are done with all coats for color 1, repeat the next steps for color 2 and so on.

The most important part of this is the color set up. To make it easier for me, I marked each square with what the color was supposed to be to help keep the pattern.

Line 1 (starting at ceiling):  white, grey, purple, blue, white, grey, purple, blue...
Line 2 (next line down from ceiling): grey, purple, blue, white, grey, purple, blue, white...
Line 3: purple, blue, white, grey, purple, blue, white, grey....
Line 4: blue, white, grey, purple, blue, white, grey, purple...

This is how you get the staggering color design. Super easy and cheap. Just takes some time and you'll get something a bit different than the normal accent wall. Try different colors and use a larger square or smaller square depending on the space.

Staggered Squares Wall design

No comments:

Post a Comment