Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Handy Trick - Pet Uh' Oh's



Recently I was dog sitting my brother-in-laws pups. I can't really call them pups... they are more like bears. One was a 120 pound labradoodle and the other about 80 pound golden lab. The nicest dogs, really well behaved. My cat didn't agree. She hid in our room the entire time, and even though we allowed her time alone in the house without the dogs to do her business and eat, she ended having an accident on our bed.

I couldn't be mad at her. She was out of her zone and two dogs invaded her space. So I tried to clean it up with some paper towels and some pet cleaner. Not only was the stain on the bed awful looking, the smell was incredibly pungent. We let it dry, tried 409, bleach... everything and nothing worked. Luckily we have a spare bed and we were able to sleep on that. A few days later, the smell had not subsided and we thought we might have to end up getting a new mattress. Lucky for us I found this amazing blog post that helped me.

Let me tell you that I was amazed it worked! And worked it did!

If you don't want to click on the link, I will do a quick break down here. But I am not taking credit for this as I found it on this blog and the blogger deserves the credit.

Follow these steps:
If the "accident" is new and still wet, blot with paper towels.

If the "accident" is dried skip to the next step.

Mix a 50/50 percentage of white vinegar and water. I used about 1/2 cup (1/4c of each). Pour solution over affected area. Blot dry with paper towels.

Sprinkle baking soda over the entire area. I used about 1/4c because I had a big stain.

Mix 1 tablespoon dawn dish soap and 1/4 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide and mix together. Pour this mixture over the baking soda.

Using a thick bristle brush (or your hand but I prefer to use a brush) mix the solution deeply into the stain. Let dry for about 15 minutes (it will be thick like a paste). Then blot the area one more time. It will still be damp, so let dry completely. It took about 4 hours to completely dry for me.

Then using the brush again, loosen the baking soda "solution" and it will turn into a 'dust'. Once you loosen it up, you can simply vacuum the surface to remove the dust and the odor and stain should be gone!

That's it and I was absolutely shocked that this worked. Since it did this is the only reason why I am sharing. Please send along to others so they don't have to live with that smell or thinking they will have to replace their mattress.


No comments:

Post a Comment