Tuesday, October 29, 2013

No Sew Halloween Tutu Tutorial


OK now that is fun to say, "Halloween Tutu Tutorial". Say it five times fast. Haha, OK back to work! I made a tutu for my friends daughter. She's an October baby so I decided to make it Halloween themed.

I adopted these steps from many other blog sites, this tutu you can do with any color and any length tulle. I am going to just go ahead and post how I did it.

What you will need: 
- Black tulle (about 3 yards)
- Orange tulle (about 3 yards)
- Elastic (I used 1/2 inch)
- Scissors
- Ribbon (optional)
- Chair or stool



Start by measuring the waist of the child. Add a few inches to allow for the knot to tie the elastic but the elastic will stretch so you only need about 3 inches longer than the measures waist size.

You will want to cut your tulle pieces. I bought the tool that was already cut width wise so I could just cut the pieces in the length that I wanted. I cut my pieces about 18 inches long. Keep in mind that you will be folding these pieces in half, so cut long enough to allow for the fold. I didn't want my tutu too long (ha!). There is no rhyme or reason here. I cut about 30 pieces of each. You want the tutu to be full so cut enough to go all the way around. If you are using the large by the yard tulle, you probably want the tulle a width of about 5-6 inches and however long you want the tutu.



Now tie a knot at the end of the elastic and use a stool or a chair to stretch the elastic around while you attache the tulle.


Now, take one piece of the tulle and fold it in half. Take the half that has the fold and place it against the elastic. 


Next, pull the tulle around the elastic to make a knot and pull tight. Repeat these steps alternating colors every time.



When you are finished going all the way around, feel free to add some ribbon as an accent.


Fluff the tutu as needed and try it on! Have fun, and try it with different colors and lengths. You can also double the amount of tulle and use two strips to make a more full tutu. 


No comments:

Post a Comment