Thursday, April 3, 2014

Sabbatical Challenge Day 2 - Spaghetti Squash Bowl

Today I tried another dinner recipe. The original pin was from 'The Comfort of Cooking Blog' but I have to admit I changed this recipe quite a bit. I didn't like all the ingredients but I adopted a version from the recipe above.

I am going to post how I did mine because this is my blog and I can do what I want to!

What you will need:
Serves 4
- 1 spaghetti squash (1 medium or large)
- 1 pound of ground beef (I used ground turkey)
- 1/2 cup of light or fat free sour cream
- 1/3 cup of salsa of choice
- 2 ounces of shredded cheese (plus more to sprinkle on top)
- Salt and pepper to taste

Start by pre-heating your oven to 375. Cut the squash in half and clean out insides of squash. Place sides meat up on a cookie sheet. If you want spritz the open sides with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 1 hour.


Once the squash is done baking take out of the oven to let cool. While the squash is cooling, brown your ground beef (or turkey). Set aside

Feel free to add some spices while you ground your meat
Once you have ground your meat, you can start peeling the squash. Make sure it's not too hot to the touch. Take a fork and pull apart the meat of the squash. It will com apart easily. Add all the meat to a large bowl.


The squash will still be a little warm so be careful

Once you have completed both sides of the squash, add your cheese, sour cream, salsa, and ground meat to the bowl and mix.

I add a little hot sauce to ours to give it a kick
Once all the ingredients have been mixed together, place servings in baking dish. I use a 9x9 glass baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top and put back in the oven to melt the topped cheese. Serve and enjoy!

If you want to make a variation of this, feel free to add diced onion, garlic, corn and black beans to your bowl. You can add anything you want to this. I like to keep my version lowcarb so I do not add corn or black beans. If I have extra veggies I will add some bell pepper or onion to the ground turkey as I cook it.

No comments:

Post a Comment