Saturday, June 7, 2014

Cilantro Lime Salsa Recipe



My sabbatical challenge was a bit of a failure. Not because I didn't do anything on my sabbatical. I had so much fun on my sabbatical and got so many things accomplished. It was because I didn't track like I wanted to on my blog. I tried all kinds of new recipes and did all kinds of crafty things but I was too lazy to take pics and post.

I will be updating in the next few weeks the things I did capture but today is a special treat. I am going to post my famous salsa recipe. It's self proclaimed famous but I assure you it is very good. Everyone that tries it loves it. I adapted this from many trials and errors on different salsa recipes I found on-line and about 6 years ago came up with this. 

I have been debating if I wanted to post it so I decided to go ahead and do it. It really is special to me and my family loves this recipe. The recipe I have posted as below has a little kick but not too spicy. You can always make it more or less spicy by adding more peppers. I hope you enjoy!

Makes one large batch
What you will need:
- 2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes w/ jalapeno peppers (if you do not want the salsa at all spicy get the cans of diced tomatoes without jalapenos)
- 1 small can of green pickled jalapeno peppers (I like the La Costena brand)
- 1/2 of a large white or yellow onion (about 3/4 c chopped)
- Large handful of fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 lime
- 1 tbs of ground cumin
- 2 tsp of salt 
- Dash of pepper

Start by cutting the onion and putting the chopped onion in the bottom of the food processor. I have a large food processor so I can do the whole recipe at once. If you have a smaller food processor you will need to half the recipe and make it in batches.


Next, take the handful of cilantro and place it over the onion in the food processor. I use mostly just the leaves of the cilantro but you can use a little of the stem like I did below (cutting the stems about 1/2 way off). The stems just take longer to chop up and can change the texture of the salsa.


Now, open the cans of tomatoes and drain the juice. Add the tomatoes to the food processor.

 

No cut off the stems from a few of the pickled jalapenos and add it to the food processor. Since I am using the canned tomatoes with the jalapenos already in it, I add about 4 small peppers. If you want it more spicy add more jalapenos. 


Cut the lime in half and use a citrus press to squeeze the entire lime into the food processor. If you do not have a citrus press just hand squeeze making sure to get all the juice. Add the garlic, salt, cumin and pepper to the top of the food processor.


Blend the salsa until all ingredients (especially the onion and cilantro) are blended. Should be a nice consistency but not too chunky. 


Chill for about an hour or longer before serving. The longer you let the salsa sit the more flavor will infuse. It sometimes gets a little spicier after a few days in the fridge. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment